Sunday 30 September 2012

My thoughts when I was at school

When I was much younger, and hadn't properly understood the how chromosomes combine at conception, I had thought that since I was physically very similar to my dad there was a much smaller chance that I would have inherited the condition (despite being told that it is 50/50).

I had several ideas in my head about how it might work, and I hadn't really appreciated that for each of my pairs of chromosomes one half came from my mum and the other from my dad. As we're looking for something that affects one half of one pair of chromosomes it becomes obvious that its 50/50 irrespective of any other observations.

These days I like to think that I dont take things at face value, and I always try to understand and explore the limits of my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment